Friday 18 March 2016

Product review and lipsticks!!

Okay, so I said I'd talk about the interview. I'm scared. Like, hella scared! I'm totally unprepared for this mentally and I don't know how I'm going to cope on the lead up to it. I've been asked to bring images of things that inspire me. My inspirations come from drag queens and more theatrical/creative make-up and I don't want that to hinder me if they think that I can't do more "basic" looks. So I have a photo album with different make-up looks I've done on myself as well as other people in the hopes that if I take it with me, they'll take a look and see that I'm more versatile than it might seem from my inspiration! And there's a skills assessment. And and a written part. I can't even. I need to take a passport sized photo with me as well which is just fan-bloody-tastic as I don't have any just laying around. So desperately hoping that I can get one which looks half decent as I look like a serial killer in my actual passport photo which is about 9-10 years old! I just hope I can get past this fear of "people" and just try as hard as I can to make it through. Even if I don't get in, at least I'll know that I've tried, to the best of my abilities.

Next, product review! In preparing for my drag make-up on Wednesday, I needed gold glitter and I had run out of mascara. Instead of buying glitter, I stumbled upon glittery eyeliner from Collection which seemed like it would be easier to apply than a brush, adhesive and glitter. Plus, it was only £2.99 in Boots so it was cheap enough just to give it a try. Mascara-wise I went for Barry M's Show Girl mascara (£4.99) and due to the chest detail on the drag look, I needed a felt tip eyeliner so I bought the Collection felt tip liner as well in Black. Unfortunately, I managed to make myself look like a complete idiot at the checkout since I kept picking up bloody testers!!

The gel eyeliner was great. The eyebrows went on perfectly and was definitely a wise choice. It was wet enough that it slid across the skin but not to the point where the glitter was sliding down my face. It dried pretty quickly as well and stayed on for a few hours before I had to wash it off again. It completely washed away as well, as glittery products I've tried in the past left random glittery residue all over my face even after washing! This morning, I thought I'd use it as it was meant to be used and pop it on as eyeliner. I fancied doing a cut crease, which actually turned out better than the ones I'd tried in the past and popped on some of the liner across my lash line. My only problem there was, when coming to apply my mascara, the excess glitter that had gone onto the tops of my eyelashes, was almost impossible to cover up. I got most of it covered but it meant that I've quite a lot of mascara on at the roots of my lashes. I'd definitely be more careful next time not to get any on there.

Mascara-wise, it's a bit 'meh'. It boasts that it's "extra lengthening" but to be honest, my eyelashes look the same as they did before but just darker. It's not particularly expensive so I'm looking at it from the perspective of "I didn't spend a hell of a lot on it so can't expect it to be the best mascara in the world" but I've bought really awesome make-up from cheaper brands before. I won't be buying it again but it's not bad enough to throw in the bin without finishing it first. I think part of the problem is the applicator as opposed to the mascara itself though.

The felt tip eyeliner... well... that's a different story altogether. I tried using it for the chest detail on the drag look and also as eyeliner but honestly, it might be the worst eyeliner I've ever used in my life. And I love eyeliner. I've tried a hell of a lot of them. It was too wet, too see-through, didn't apply evenly, it was tragic. I had to go over the full lot with gel liner to try and fix it. It's not something I'd recommend and definitely not something I'd ever buy again. The tip of it was pretty good, it's just a shame the liner itself was so terrible, I even tried going over it several times to build up the colour but it just wasn't happening whatsoever!

The question from the make-up challenge today is asking what lipstick, gloss or lipliner do you like. Well, anyone who knows me, knows my obsession with Jeffree Star Liquid Lipstick is seriously unhealthy. I only have 10 of the current colours, 5 of which are the Holiday Collection which I managed to receive as a gift for Christmas and the colours are EVERYTHING. I'd never recommend any lipsticks to anyone apart from Jeffree Star. The colours are so bright, they last for ages and they're matte without being drying. At the moment, I have Androgyny, Mistletoe, Ho Ho Ho, Drug Lord, Doll Parts, I'm Nude, I'm Royalty, Blue Velvet, Weirdo and Prom Night. It's not enough! I want them all!! So I'm still building up my collection but there are two new colours being released this year and also another collection of lipsticks which I believe are due out in the spring, it's currently spring actually, so I hope they're going to appear soon.

The only colour I couldn't find a photo of was I'm Nude but I'm pretty sure I'll have something up in the future with it on.

I'm planning on going out to buy a camera next week so maybe I'll get some videos posted on YT and can supply a link to an alternative to written tutorials because it's just not the same trying to follow a written photo tutorial as opposed to a video but my accent is horrible and I have a tendency to ramble on quite a bit, as is pretty obvious from this blog but we'll give it a shot. The worst that can happen is rude commenters so we'll see what happens.

x M x

Boots: Collection Glam Crystals Eyeliner £2.99
Collection Extreme 24 Hour Felt Tip Eyeliner
Barry M Show Girl Mascara

Collection Glam Crystals Eyeliner 5/5
Collection Extreme 24 Hour Felt Tip Eyeliner 0/5
Barry M Show Girl Mascara 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment