Thursday 3 March 2016

Make-up challenge day 1... bare faced and when we first started wearing make-up...

Good morning! :)

So I found two "30 Day Make-up Challenges" on Google the other day and thought it would be fun to take part.

Day 1 is "post a picture of yourself wearing no make-up" on one list and the question "When did you start wearing make-up?" on the other so here goes...



I started wearing make-up as a teenager when I started high school. I didn't have much confidence in myself and I found make-up gave me that confidence. I was probably about 13 and grew up watching my Mum do her make-up and waiting for the day when I could start wearing it regularly. I never had YouTube tutorials or anything like that back then so was basically going off whatever I had seen from my Mum and making the rest up as I went along.

Looking back on it,  I was a hot mess. Honestly. In most pictures I see of myself, my face is bright orange, I have tide marks where I haven't blended my (far too dark) foundation onto my neck properly and my eyebrows were just tragic. 

Moving on from then, when I started working in a shop, I stepped my game up. I finally matched my colour properly and didn't look as much of a riot leaving the house. I always loved bright colours and have never been one to regularly go for a natural look so it was always bright and bold. 

After having my two kids, make-up wasn't a daily thing. I was so busy dealing with babies and toddlers that I only really wore it if I was going out shopping. The rest of the time I was bare faced. Don't get me wrong, now as an adult, I have much more confidence in myself physically but I feel it's almost a kind of mask. I have anxiety and putting on that mask gives me that more of an "oomph" but it's more a case of actually enjoying putting the make-up on than anything else. I feel I can express myself with colour and style. Not only that, but with the anxiety, I feel like sitting down and methodically applying the make-up itself relaxes me. At the end of it, I can look at it and see that I've actually achieved something. Whether it be my less favourable natural look or something wild, wonderful and creative. 

Now I've realised that I want to do make-up for a living. I want to give that confidence to someone else, pass on the creativity, inspire others. We are all beautiful. No matter what we look like, there is beauty in all of us but sometimes it takes just that little bit of make-up here and there to give someone confidence, cover flaws that make us feel self-conscious, let us express ourselves and be creative, accentuate that beauty that is already there.

x M x

No comments:

Post a Comment