Tuesday 19 April 2016

Life update: I'M A STUDENT!!!

So I don't think I've updated since I got my interview letter for college through so a little update is necessary.

So the lead up to the interview was hellish. I couldn't sleep for that whole week leading up to it and I felt like utter shit. To put it plainly. The anxiety was at nuclear meltdown level and I was a riot. The lack of sleep was probably exacerbating the feeling of anxiety to be honest.

I organised my stuff for the interview. I had to take photo ID along with my qualifications and it felt a bit rough. My darling friend took me to one of the photo booths to get my ID printed and what a riot that was. Got my make-up done, looking lovely and fresh and it ended up that my photo looked like a mugshot. Fantastic. So if the college is keeping them for our student IDs, I'm basically going to have to pass for a serial killer for the next 3 years!

Along with the photograph and certificate, we were asked to bring in photos of make-up that inspired us. So I ran to the library at the last minute (my specialty) to get them printed out. I chose the following 9 images to take along.

I wanted to make sure that in taking the photos that I did with me, I was putting across really who I was as a person. I'm inspired by the bright, the bold, the beautiful. Drag has become such a huge part of my inspiration that I actually ended up having to cut some of the queens out (the shade) so I wasn't taking too many photos in with me! Overkill much?

There was a bit of here and there going with me trying to decide whether I should take a portfolio in with me or not. It wasn't required but it seemed like it would be sensible. You can only sell yourself so much with your words but actually being able to take some of my work in with me would let them see exactly what I can do. So I put together an album of about 100 photos of work I'd previously done on myself and other people. There was an even mixture of more neutral looks, really bright and in-your-face looks and some drag looks so there was a nice balance there to show that I'm not a one trick pony and I really am willing to try anything.

Then came deciding what I was actually going to do with my bloody face and clothes. I didn't want to go in proper interview attire because that's just not me. I've prided myself on always putting Marianne across and not pretending to be something or someone else I'm not so when people started to advise me to go in interview clothes and tone down my make-up I was quite on edge. I ended up settling for a simple black swing dress with knee high boots, my hair in it's usual slicked back style and attempted to tone down my make-up just the slightest bit. Couldn't resist throwing in my old faithful JS I'm Royalty to add a splash of colour. I'm now considering it not only my favourite lipstick but my lucky lipstick!

The interview itself swung around quicker than I was comfortable with, if I'm being totally honest with you. Walking into that college on the Tuesday morning was incredibly nerve-wracking. I had no idea what I was walking into. Disappointment struck when upon entering the room the lecturers informed us that the course was full and they were actually interviewing for a waiting list. We were advised to look at other courses as a just-in-case sort of thing and also that the course was a Level 6 course and it was preferable but not necessary to have qualified at Level 5. So at that point I lost all hope inside. I had no make-up or hair qualifications and no experience working in the beauty industry so I really knocked myself down. The feeling of hopelessness almost had me walking out the door.

My turn came around and I was taken to speak to one of the lecturers, she asked a few questions and looked through my portfolio, she was very complimentary of my work which almost made my heart explode with pride and I was grinning like an absolute idiot. Then had a look through the inspirational photos we were asked to take and she said they were really great. After a quick discussion I decided that I would apply for another course just in case I didn't get in but she said that she didn't see a reason why I wouldn't if the place was free. On my way out the door I was a little bit lost so I stopped one of the lecturers to ask her how to get out and as I walked off she tapped me on the shoulder and told me she "loved my look" and at that point, a shot of confidence went through me and I all but skipped out into the corridor. 

I got home that night and felt a mixture of emotions. The biggest part of me was saying that there was no way it was happening. The course was full, I had no experience, no qualifications, there was no point. But the other part of me was thinking about how well the interview had actually gone in the end. I awoke the next morning and sitting there in my e-mail inbox was an unconditional offer to start in August. I could not believe it! I burst into tears on the spot and just sat totally frozen to the spot. How many times did I read the e-mail over and over again? Lost count, honestly.

So I called everyone and messaged everyone to spread the news and now here I am. Sitting here waiting on August to come around and I'm absolutely terrified. But it's baby steps, we got in so now we just need to take it one day at a time. My sleep is still all over the place but I'm trying to keep my eye on the prize and that one day in the near future I will actually be able to pen the letters M U A on to the end of my name.

In other news, a YouTube vlog is coming. I figured there's no time like the present and since everything else is going so well at the minute, I might as well suck it up and put myself out there. So tomorrow is filming day (Review and swatch of the LA Girl Matte Gloss lipsticks) and it's also Drag Wednesday! Woohoo!!! Promises from now on to try and update daily!

x M x

No comments:

Post a Comment