Sunday 24 May 2015

Maybelline Flawless Nude Foundation Review

I'm going to review the new Maybelline Flawless Nude foundation (and get my basic foundation routine in there too). I got mine for £8.99 from Boots. I was a bit disappointed in the size. Foundations I've had before are normally 30ml but the Flawless Nude is only 20ml. Considering I usually pay around the same amount for 30ml, I was slightly put off by the price.

The foundation itself comes in a glass bottle which isn't handy when you're coming to the end of the foundation as I usually cut my plastic tubes and bottles open to scrape the last out of the container. There's a strange little dropper inside the bottle, after examining it, I honestly couldn't figure out what it's purpose was so looked around online to see if I could find the answer. Apparently it allows you to measure out the right amount of foundation.

Consistency-wise, it's pretty runny. I usually go for thicker foundations (up until now I've been using the Max Factor Pan Stik foundation) though. The shade (Ivory 10) was a perfect match for my skin. I noticed in the shop that there weren't a large variety of shades, looking on the Maybelline website, they don't actually offer darker shades in this particular foundation.

Time to test...
 The camera I have is quite forgiving so you can't properly see the flaws in my skin in this photo but I have lots of little spots, can't miss the one on my chin though LOL. Dark circles under my eyes and little broken veins around my nose. Normally I use a full coverage foundation, 1 coat foundation, 1 concealer, another coat of foundation.

 I put on a little bit of primer before starting. I use Seventeen Wow primer. It's pretty good but it's very shiny so you have to be careful not to use too much.


 I use a cheap cream contour/concealer palette which I got for £2.80 on eBay. It's fantastic. I use the pale purple underneath my eyes and over any dark patches and the green over any red patches. I go over the top of it with concealer slightly lighter than my own skin tone.

The kids decided they wanted in on the action...
 I always apply my foundation with a beauty blender so I just dabbed it all over my face with the funny little dropper thingy and blended it in. The coverage wasn't bad but as I said before I usually use thick or stick foundation. So I put another coat over the top of it and it was much better. It blends really well with the blender and I use my fingers to blend foundation on my nose. My only gripe is it doesn't cover *large* blemishes very well. As you can see from my chin, you really can't miss it even after trying to dab some more over the top of it. OH AND BY THE WAY!! A little warning. The foundation stings like a mother going over the top of cuts or spots. Think aftershave on a coldsore type of pain. It's very that.


 Popped on the rest of my make-up. I set my foundation using Rimmel Stay Matte translucent pressed powder with a fluffy brush. I don't use bronzer so went straight on to blush. I love NYX Powder Blush in Dusky Rose.
Overall I'd say it's pretty good but it's not the best. I don't think I'd be inclined to buy it again to be honest. 

Pros: Blends well. Don't need to use a massive amount (unless you need two coats like myself). 

Cons: Didn't offer me the coverage I needed. Not a wide variety of shades if you have darker toned skin. Quite a small bottle. Pretty runny.


All in all I'd give it... 3 out of 5. Not the best, not the worst.

If you've got quite nice skin, I think it would be a good buy for you. If not, give it a miss.

- x M x

No comments:

Post a Comment